Tuesday, November 27, 2007

#15 On Library 2.0 and Web 2.0

Library 2.0 meant nothing to me until I started these exercises. It has even given me a greater understanding of my own children. (Millenials! Who knew?)
I'm afraid I have been guilty of being stuck in the bygone information age - a fact I didn't even realise. Of course I use Google and have looked at Wikipedia but I had never gone out of my way to embrace annything new that I didn't have to.
It is not that I rejected new technologies, I just didn't bother with them too much - it was something kids did. I certainly didn't register their significance in libraries today, but in looking at the bigger picture, of course you can see that the way people are interacting and getting information is undertaking a significant shift.
I guess the majority of the people I deal with are not that techno-savvy and it has been easier to concentrate on their needs rather than the needs of those who don't use the library, mainly because I didn't know how. The principles of discovery and life-long learning have certainly made an impact and I will continue on this path long after 23 things.
I can definitely see Library 2.0 concepts being incorporated into libraries of the future - how can they not? People don't need to physically be in the library building to access the information they require anymore and the interactive media that the Millenials (and others) use today will only increase. Ultimately, the goal of Library 2.0 is to "improve library services and reach more users without leaving any existing users behind."

No comments: