Friday, November 30, 2007

#19 Discovering Web 2.0 tools

Well at least now I have heard of a few of these Web 2.0 nominees and it is only logical that some of the ones we have been looking with 23 Things have been winners in their category.
I had a look at Games, simply because I don't play any, and had a look at Arcaplay (the winner.) I had no idea how to play the first game I chose (nothing I did worked) so I gave up on that. I did try it again later but it took forever to load. So I went onto Guess-the-Google. I fared much better with that, and in fact spent too long on it as I tried to better my scores.
I liked RealTravel where you could read the blogs of people who have "been there, done that" for any destination you wish to check out.
I also spent a bit of time looking at StumbleUpon. I just tried the online demo and it came up with all sorts of unusual photos, videos and sites. You just had to keep looking at "just one more". There was a great video using time-lapse photography at an American football game. It captured the stadium as it filled with fans, the game itself and then as the stadium emptied. What took 7 hours in real time was reduced to 2 minutes. A total of 1,194 images were taken, one every 20 seconds.

The collage of sites in the Web 2.0 Directory looks very impressive. There is so much playing to be done. There is even a MySpace for cats and dogs. Love it.

No comments: