Saturday, December 1, 2007

#20 You too can YouTube

I had a look at some of the featured videos on YouTube's homepage. I also checked out the Videos page which allowed you to browse them in a variety of ways - top rated, most linked, most responded etc. There was a Featured Videos by Category page, a Channels (YouTube members who upload videos) page and a Featured Community Selections page, where contests and campaigns are promoted. I found all of these helpful to the first-time YouTube user - the number and variety of videos out there is amazing.

I did a search under Library and found the "library dominoes" clip which is one of the examples on the #20 L2.0 page. Who doesn't enjoy watching the unstoppable domino forces at work.

The clip I've added is "Reading on a dream" a short and amusing library musical. Adding the video to my blog was very easy indeed.

In fact I had to go and show everyone at home my achievements.

The Windows Vista, Windows Live video shows just how useful a YouTube clip could be on a library's homepage. This Windows example demonstrates how much information a well produced educational video can get across to the viewer - making it both entertaining and informative. We could follow this example and describe all that the library has to offer - its services and collections, to the online user.

Another clip that was quite fun to watch was the St Joseph County Public Library's "Ray of Light" video that highlighted the people and their jobs in a day's work. In just over a year this clip has been viewed more than 38,000 times.

No comments: